The BARLA-UTMOST Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SponsorBank Lancashire Cup

4 posters

Go down

SponsorBank  Lancashire Cup Empty SponsorBank Lancashire Cup

Post by Sam Armstrong Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:18 am

Lancashire Cup Finals 2009

Apologies for the delay, but there was, on Sunday 15th March, some absolutely fantastic rugby on display from each and every side which helped produce some nail biting, tantalising finals with not a single bit of indiscipline, unnecessary aggression evident but simply a superb show of sportsmanship and respect from all of the teams involved.

On behalf of NW Counties 13-15's ARL, we would like to place on record our sincere thanks to the day's sponsors, Sponsorbank, without whom we simply would not have been able to set this new benchmark in County Cup Finals, their support, both prior to and on the day itself, helped to make the day such a great success. We hope that they & their guests enjoyed it as much as everyone else did and that this is the start of a long partnership with the competition.

We would also like to thank ...

1. Halton Farnworth Hornets Under 10's for their fantastic ball-boys who's alertness kept the game flowing by always being ready with a fresh ball.

2. The RFL's Danny Parkinson and his team of volunteers who worked tirelessly to get everyone in the right place at the right time and helped us almost sell all of our programmes on the day (we had about 10 left!!).

3. Halton Borough Council & the Staff of the Stobart Stadium for facilitating such a superb venue for the player's to display their skills (and for keeping them all fed).

4. The RFL's Niel Wood & Carol Savage who helped arrange the sponsorshp and superbly coordinated/arranged all the administrative details and tickets etc.

5. All 3 sets of the the North West Counties league's official's who pulled together in unison to ensure the smooth running of the day and, in particular, a mention to Jackie's husband Duncan Clowes who, having worked all night, then spent the entire day tirelessly helping out rather than going home to get some well deserved sleep!!

6. To our photographers and video cameraman. Geoff Owen, for his eagerly awaited DVDs, if they are a patch on those we had last season for the NW Counties 13-15's Cup Finals then the players and parents are in for a treat. To Steve Jones of KT8 photography (www.kt8photography.co.uk) who took some phenomenal action photos on behalf of the 13-15's and which are available for all to see in the gallery on his website and to Steve Bostock who similarly took the photo's for release to the media.

7. Finally, to the Players, Coaches, Officials, Mums & Dads, Grandmas, Grandads, Brothers, Sisters, Aunts, Uncles and anyone else who made their way down to cheer and support and who made the day feel so special for all those involved.

As previously stated we are, due to the help of all the above and particularly SponsorBank, now in a position to make a substantial four figure donation to our chosen children's hospice and will let everyone know the final figures when everything is added up.

Anyway, let's get on with the match reports ...
U13's Winners - Bold Miners
Bold Miners 38 vs Ince Rose Bridge 6
Bold Miners under 13’s were worthy winners in the SponsorBank Lancashire Cup final against Ince Rose Bridge at Widnes’ Hobart Stadium on Sunday.

The Miners were quickest out of the traps and raced into a 12-0 lead after just five minutes thanks to converted tries from captain Kurt Riley and full back David Hewitt.

Their lead was increased on thirteen minutes as Riley and Hewitt combined once again with the captain sending his full back through a gap in the defence with a superb wide ball.

Ince thought they had bought themselves a lifeline as the first half drew to a close, when stand off Nathan Seddon smartly intercepted a loose Bold pass to set up a period of sustained pressure. A clever kick penetrated the Bold defensive line but the ball wasn’t grounded, so the try wasn’t given.

The Miners wasted no time in re-asserting their authority on the match, moments after the disallowed try, a burst of pace from Hewitt sent him through the Ince line once again to complete a first half hat-trick.

Just before the break Bold added to their first half tally with Hewitt involved once again. His clever offload sent Matthew Duggan over the line to make the score 26-0 at the break.

Both teams enthusiasm was plain to see at the start of the second half as the players took it upon themselves to begin the second half with the referee still in his dressing room.

Order was quickly restored and Bold started the second half where they had left off. Kurt Riley scored his second try of the match as the ball was switched from left to right and an overlap developed.

Ince refused to give up however and their persistence was rewarded with a try of their own. A long kick on the last tackle was chased down by centre Robbie Valentine and he got to be ball in front of the full back to score a well deserved try under the posts.

As fatigue set in Bold scored the final try of the match to seal the victory. Hewitt and Riley were involved again as an inside ball sent Riley over to complete his hat-trick and earn himself the man of the match award.

The match was more closely contested than the score line suggests, Ince should be proud of their never say die attitude but they just came up against a better side on the day.

Under 15's Winners - Portico Vine
Portico 12 – Wigan St. Pats 10

Portico managed to hang on to their first half lead to see of Wigan St. Pats and win the Lancashire Cup under 15’s final.

Defences were on top in the early stages; both teams were putting in big hits and driving each other back towards their own line.

However, St. Pats managed to break the deadlock with a converted try by Chris Doran. Shortly after, Portico’s stand off Jack Jones looked to have picked up a serious injury and had to be replaced.

Portico struck back however, scoring two tries of their own before half time through Chris Webster and Tom Rigby, both were converted making the score 12-6 to Portico at half time.

The second half was as closely contested as the first, with both teams cancelling each other out.

The Wigan side got themselves within one score of taking the lead after a well worked try as Billy Atherton worked the ball wide for Chris Doran to score in the corner and set up a tense finale.

St. Pats through everything they had at Portico in the closing minutes but Portico were able to hang on and take the cup.

Portico’s imperious second row forward, Hayden Jones was awarded man of the match for his tough tackling and strong running.

Once again a huge thanks to everyone involved !!! cheers

Last edited by Sam Armstrong on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:44 am; edited 7 times in total
Sam Armstrong
Sam Armstrong
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2009-01-18

http://www.nwc13-15arl.co.uk

Back to top Go down

SponsorBank  Lancashire Cup Empty SPONSORBANK LANCASHIRE CUP FINALS

Post by Steve Manning Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:29 pm

Sam,
I'll not be paraniod about your last paragraph but to be honest I had problems with that wonderful thing called the computer and I didn't have any team line ups etc, which doesn't help the sitouation.

By the time everything was in working order I was of the opinion that the 'moment' had been lost' so am humble enough to apologise now.

I also assisted in the finals and was asked to give an opinion and thoughts on the MOM in four games to the sponsors which I enjoyed doing but wassn't expected to do. But it was a great honour to be asked and I had a great time liasing with Sponsorbank and the great thing was 'politics within the game never came up unlike your last paragraph.

I know that prior to leaving I complemeneted the event to you and whilst speaking to Mick and endorsed those thoughts the previous evening at the what I thought was a positive Y & J Meeting.

I know that the BARLA Chair passed on positive comments about the day and he has asked me to confirm that with this posting.

I hope that clears the misunderstanding and if you would like me to post your origional match reports from the posting that isn't an issue with me as there wasn't any in that weekends trade press.
Steve

Steve Manning
BARLA PRO and Media Manager

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

SponsorBank  Lancashire Cup Empty Re: SponsorBank Lancashire Cup

Post by Sam Armstrong Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:30 am

Steve, I have removed the remark, which I recognise in hindsight, was wrong and childish of me to post but was an ill-thought out snap reaction to the previous post about the Yorkshire Youth & Junior County Cup Finals.

Sometimes in the cold light of day we recognise that we have over-stepped the mark. I am never too proud to accept that I get things wrong and therefore would genuinely and sincerely like to apologise for the offence caused.
Sam Armstrong
Sam Armstrong
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

SponsorBank  Lancashire Cup Empty SPONSORBANK LANCASHIRE CUP FINALS

Post by Steve Manning Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:23 am

Sam,

No problem with that and I know how passionate you are about the amatuer game and what you want to try and achieve for the good of the game as a whole.

I know at times our opinions may differ but as I have said on a previous post 'we are all in this together.

The offer is still there if you want your origional post placing on the BARLA site. I also have Australian contacts that I send items to and this can be sent there as well.

As I may have said to you before and to other people the BARLA website is not my site it's yours the leagues, the clubs, the players, the officials, the volunteers etc.

If I get sent stuff it goes on the website even if it may be duplicated on this Forum.

One of your analagies I think was build a stadium and they will come (or something to that effect)

Mine is send me the stuff and I will post it if not on the same day within 24hrs if my system works.
Steve

Steve Manning

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Armstrong Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:55 am

Thanks Steve for accepting my apology in good grace and also for clarifying the procedure for getting things posted. I think, no matter what we show on our sites needs also to be promoted quite simply as much as possible ... the more that see what we can and are doing has to be beneficial.

Let us show the Australians, via your contacts, that we are serious in our commitment to producing top class athletes to not only be able to compete but hopefully to go one step further and take over the mantle as world leaders in youth & junior player development.

The higher profile and the greater media coverage we get for our events the better and hopefully, reaching a larger target audience will encourage greater participation leading to a larger pool of skilled players to select from in the future.
Sam Armstrong
Sam Armstrong
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Marchant Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:55 am

SponsorBank  Lancashire Cup Goodto10
Lee Marchant
Lee Marchant
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://barla.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Armstrong Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:02 am

Lee Marchant wrote:SponsorBank  Lancashire Cup Goodto10

"Can I call this weekend's game off? Yeah ... flooded pitch!!"
Sam Armstrong
Sam Armstrong
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mick doyle Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:29 am

Who deleted my original post on this thread and why ? Evil or Very Mad

mick doyle
Youth team
Youth team

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Marchant Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:40 am

mick doyle wrote:Who deleted my original post on this thread and why ? Evil or Very Mad

not guilty Mick,

I can't remember seeing a post by you on this thread.

Are you sure it was on this thread?

I always pm an explanation when I remove a post.

Edit: Mick, have just looked through admin and moderation actions over the last month, nobody has deleted any posts on this thread,

Sam can confirm this.
Lee Marchant
Lee Marchant
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://barla.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mick doyle Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:50 am

Sorry found it under events and announcements Embarassed