under 18s playing on Friday night then Sunday midday

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by rugbygal on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:11 pm

Please can Barla say why Siddal under 18s played friday night and sunday lunch, we wouldnt let proffesionals do this and nor should lads, this team has lads under 18 and child welfare guidance should apply.
This was unfair and putting the lads at risk. Please advise Barla, this was poor

rugbygal
Junior player
Junior player

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: under 18s playing on Friday night then Sunday midday

Post by clowesey on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:37 pm

Blame the weather - everyone has a backlog and they need to be played if the season is going to finish on time. There is a deadline that has to be adhered to.

All fixture secretaries have the same issues and with a lack of floodlights there isn't always any option other than to cram games in when they can be played - I know!

If you think Friday Sunday is poor then what about Leigh Miners who played a league game against London on a Saturday (away) and a National Cup game on the Sunday back in the NW, voluntarily.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Saddleworth played 4 games in a week at the end of last season (Sun-Sun) or it could have been 3 in 5 days with a few of the lads playing for Oldham reserves as well.

These lads are young enough and fit enough to get on with it. It's not as if it happens every week.

clowesey
Junior player
Junior player

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Stephenson on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:31 am

And from a former coaches point of view (mine) a quick look at the RFL's LTPADP shows that they never exceeded the number of "competitive hours" in that week.

Paul Stephenson
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2009-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marauder on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:11 pm

I love all the new scientific methods and calculations of modern day doctrine, I’m sure most of us older guys can tell the same story (Before computers) of how we used to be out playing football seven days a week, Monday to Friday was about 4 hours after school and Saturday and Sunday would be all day.

Marauder
Junior player
Junior player

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile http://www.thornemoormarauders.ik.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pandasdad on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:55 am

RFL rules also state:

Clubs must not encourage or be party to a player playing two games in any four day period.

Albeit that this relates to lads signed for Academy. However, since you might imagine that these are among the fittest of the teenagers playing the game, that the principle would equally apply to all. On occasions when my lad has played RU on a Saturday and RL on a Sunday, I have been able to tell the difference in energy levels on the Sunday, compared to him not having played a match the day before.

pandasdad
Junior player
Junior player

Number of posts : 48

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by clowesey on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:09 am

pandasdad wrote:RFL rules also state:

Clubs must not encourage or be party to a player playing two games in any four day period.

Albeit that this relates to lads signed for Academy. However, since you might imagine that these are among the fittest of the teenagers playing the game, that the principle would equally apply to all. On occasions when my lad has played RU on a Saturday and RL on a Sunday, I have been able to tell the difference in energy levels on the Sunday, compared to him not having played a match the day before.

Which would basically rule out any midweek games, anywhere.
Time for a rethink on next season's division sizes now then.......

clowesey
Junior player
Junior player

Number of posts : 25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbygal on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:48 am

Im glad to see others support my view and so does policy. We need to protect our young sports people, we shouldnt make excuses about needing to address backlog and teams happy to play and excuses that young people are fit, like everyone they need adequate turn around time . Perhaps if we protected our youth like they do in other countries we would have more success.

We also need to need to look at fairness across the board, if both teams had played in a short time space then ok.

I suspect if one of the players had been badley injured they potentially could have a huge compensation claim as we failed to safeguard

rugbygal
Junior player
Junior player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mick doyle on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:25 pm

pandasdad wrote:RFL rules also state:

The Rfl paid full time officers need to adhere to the above when they organise service area trials on a saturday when we have fixtured games on sundays.

mick doyle
Youth team
Youth team

Number of posts : 83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pandasdad on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:55 pm

I agree with you, Mick, but I don't think that it is RFL full-time officals who organise these trials.

In my experience, within Wigan & Leigh, the Wigan trials have been held mid-week, while the Leigh trials have been Saturdays, as you say. I can't speak for other SAs. However, SA trials are organised between the SA coordinators and the reps from the professional clubs in their area, not by RFL officials. The RFL, in the shape of PAs (part-time) only get involved when the SA matches take place, by which time, NWC matches should have been completed anyway.

Nevertheless, the arrangement isn't ideal, because the season doesn't finish until a week before the first SA match, so the training demands on those players selected for SA conflict with their club's training requirements for league and cup successes at the end of the season.

I know that there are those who would do away with SA, but none have proposed a fairer way of displaying the slightly more talented lads for the RFL and the pro clubs without each having to make a huge increase in investment in scouts.

pandasdad
Junior player
Junior player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mick doyle on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:16 pm

Sorry may have not put my point across in the right way.
I mean that when the Regional officers ( Who are full time RL employees ) set out the programs for the SA co-ordinators they should make them aware of the guidance of the danger of over playing our gifted and talented athletes.

mick doyle
Youth team
Youth team

Number of posts : 83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pandasdad on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:08 am

I agree with you entirely, Mick. It seems the Regional Officers are in an ideal position to take a lead on this - I know that it's something many of the pro clubs get concerned about. One of the ways they might help is to look, as part of the RFL, at the start date of the Academy season and see if there could be more flexibility there.

pandasdad
Junior player
Junior player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Stephenson on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:45 am

Speaking as an elected Service Area Representaive and always willing to throw in a comment to spark discussion.....if Service Area is about giving the talented players access to superior and additional coaching why do you need five games anyway?

Surely by playing five fixtures coaches might be tempted to select a team to win those games rather than a group of talented athletes who might reach the top in our game?

lol discuss!

Paul Stephenson
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2009-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pandasdad on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:40 am

Paul Stephenson wrote:if Service Area is about giving the talented players access to superior and additional coaching why do you need five games anyway?

SA is about more than giving access to superior coaching, although, arguably, that is one of its aims. It's also about providing a shop window for lads who may be capable of progressing on the player pathway. Hence the games enable RFL PAs to nominate lads for Regional Camps, and allows pro clubs to view potential talent for scholarships and Academies. To that end I support the concept.

I have severe doubts about the merits of scholarships, however, but that's another story.

pandasdad
Junior player
Junior player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leighminersrangers on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:53 am

leigh miners 18s had to play against north london in league on a saturday and away to golborne on the sunday in national cup a few weeks back

leighminersrangers
Junior player
Junior player

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-02-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

were neither safeguarding or supporting our young people

Post by rugbygal on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:34 am

Thanks to those who have provided a response to my intial question, some of your comments about the frequency of play have come through I am ever more alarmed about the way in which we are treating the lads, this needs addressing, Barla can you answer this question please.

Finally I hope the lads who are committed to their sport and played 2 matches over 2 days were successful, played to the best of your abilities and didnt pick up any injuires. As I believe their performance will have been affected and it wasnt fair play.

Looking at the other subject area on this site what does Barla do for the junior members, whoever manages junior rugby needs to protect and safeguard and have the right governance in place

rugbygal
Junior player
Junior player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Marchant on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:38 pm

I'll try and get a constructive response to this,

can you provide some more details please,

what games were played friday and sunday and were they league/ cup games etc...

Lee Marchant
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-09-09

View user profile http://barla.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole Land on Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:03 pm

BARLA have not made these players play 2 games in one weekend.
The national cup games are supposed to take precedent over League fixtures.
The Playing leagues are aware of this and work with us. It is my understanding that the club concerned offered to play Friday night and then Sunday. In previous rounds the Friday game has been postponed.
I hope this clarifies the situation

Carole Land
Youth and Junior chair
Youth and Junior chair

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-09-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

protecting our youth

Post by rugbygal on Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:05 am

im not bothered about the clubs allowing we should be protecting our youth, I am concerned about the welfare of young people, Barla and the leagues are responsible, you are supposed to ensure good governance and promote good practice and shouldnt allow this practice. I am now highlighting this agenda at a higher level

rugbygal
Junior player
Junior player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Bad Bri on Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:34 am

not sure I see your point here Rugbygal,

if the club made the decision to play the games, then you need to take it up with them.

There is always a backlog of games when we have a bad winter like we've had this year.

If you are looking for a law to be added to the rules that a team cannot play within say 72 hours of a previous game?

Big Bad Bri
Junior player
Junior player

Number of posts : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by once a ref on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:08 am

Rugbygal, you have asked the question and recieved answers and opinions but you seem to be on a crusade and are becoming very repetitive, are you a Yuman Rites lawyer seeking to make a few quid?

once a ref
Youth team
Youth team

Number of posts : 50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by andymc on Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:49 pm

posted acomment on this and iy has not appeared why?

andymc
Junior player
Junior player

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Marchant on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:00 am

andymc wrote:posted acomment on this and iy has not appeared why?

Hi Andy,

no idea, are you sure you pushed the "send" button?

Nobody has deleted it.

Lee Marchant
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-09-09

View user profile http://barla.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down