The BARLA-UTMOST Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Clubs/Leagues have left BARLA since the letter from RFL?

+2
Sam Armstrong
Coshida
6 posters

Go down

Which Clubs/Leagues have left BARLA since the letter from RFL? Empty Which Clubs/Leagues have left BARLA since the letter from RFL?

Post by Coshida Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:21 am

I thought it would be interesting to see what clubs have signed this agreement and moved to the RFL?

Anyone know if the NCL and NWC have decided to leave?

Please feel free to make a list.

Coshida
Junior player
Junior player

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Which Clubs/Leagues have left BARLA since the letter from RFL? Empty Re: Which Clubs/Leagues have left BARLA since the letter from RFL?

Post by Sam Armstrong Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:53 am

It's no good, I can't be doing any longer with this incessant paranoia & scaremongering.

Here it is for the hard of understanding ...
NO CLUB IS BEING ASKED TO LEAVE BARLA!!!!

RFL Community Club Partnership is open to all clubs within the United Kingdom and Ireland. Any club playing in a league, whether or not that league is associated to the RFL, is able to apply individually for Community Club Partnership and they will be recognised as Associates of the RFL.

Now, I've highlighted the important bits which, to me, show that it is open to all, please recipricate and highlight the words in the same document which, you believe, say you cannot be a BARLA club or that if you are you must leave!!!

This should be interesting Rolling Eyes ... which will come first, the answer or the allegation that, of course, by not blindly towing the party line of "them & us" I'm obviously either a) on the RFL Payroll or b) hankering after a position with them?? Sorry peeps ... the answer to the last bit is neither but I do want to see the game move forward in unity rather than be perceived as a fag end & booze working mens club sport stuck in the 70's!!!
Sam Armstrong
Sam Armstrong
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2009-01-18

http://www.nwc13-15arl.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Which Clubs/Leagues have left BARLA since the letter from RFL? Empty Re: Which Clubs/Leagues have left BARLA since the letter from RFL?

Post by Coshida Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:30 am

Sam Armstrong wrote:It's no good, I can't be doing any longer with this incessant paranoia & scaremongering.

Here it is for the hard of understanding ...
NO CLUB IS BEING ASKED TO LEAVE BARLA!!!!

RFL Community Club Partnership is open to all clubs within the United Kingdom and Ireland. Any club playing in a league, whether or not that league is associated to the RFL, is able to apply individually for Community Club Partnership and they will be recognised as Associates of the RFL.

Now, I've highlighted the important bits which, to me, show that it is open to all, please recipricate and highlight the words in the same document which, you believe, say you cannot be a BARLA club or that if you are you must leave!!!

This should be interesting Rolling Eyes ... which will come first, the answer or the allegation that, of course, by not blindly towing the party line of "them & us" I'm obviously either a) on the RFL Payroll or b) hankering after a position with them?? Sorry peeps ... the answer to the last bit is neither but I do want to see the game move forward in unity rather than be perceived as a fag end & booze working mens club sport stuck in the 70's!!!

Any reason why you never highlighted this section?

RFL Community Club Partnership is open to all clubs within the United Kingdom and Ireland. Any club playing in a league,
whether or not that league is associated to the RFL, is able to apply individually for Community Club Partnership and they will be recognised as Associates of the RFL.

So are the clubs being recognised as BARLA members or RFL?

Sam you are not stupid, and neither am I, this is a blatant attempt to eradicate BARLA from the scene, and to justify the £29m being asked in funding. Again Sam, for BARLA to move forward as we all want, it will take money to make it happen, so with 60% of clubs represented by BARLA will they recieve 60% of the funding?

Just think what £6.7m a year would do for progessing BARLA.

It clearly states that the clubs that sign this agreement will be associates of the RFL.

What is clear to me, although BARLA have made mistakes, it can change and adapt, and this is down to the Associate members to make that change.

What is worrying Sam, it seems that by your post, although very well put, where is your support of BARLA? Will we see your league move the RFL, I guess only time will tell, and it would be an utter shame.

I believe that we should all be singing from the same hymm sheet here, and pushing for the RFL to give BARLA 60% of THAT funding, as I am aware that was in the proposals that the RFL had put to Sport England.

Pushing for complete unification of the amatuer game.

Coshida
Junior player
Junior player

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by peter moran Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:08 am

The paranoia has got to me as well Sam .I promised myself I wouldn't be back and here I am.!
No-one has left Barla to my knowledge since the letter was sent.I believe about seven leagues as of yesterday had taken up the new opportunity on offer, and approx 30 clubs. I honestly cannot give proper figures but i can definately confirm that my own league, NCL, has affiliated. before anybody gets uptight about that its in our constitution to pursue closer links with RFL when the chance arrives.

What is of more concern is the Barla Chair advice about the new Partnership opportunities as though they have come as a bolt from the blue without consultation when nothing is further from the truth.

League andClub affiliation is part of the ongoing work of the Community Board which is the agreed consulting(and governing)venue for the whole of the grassroots game. Presentations were made in July2008 and the process fleshed out at the September and December meetings, whilst RFL got about the necessary rule changes at Full Council in December.

Barla were variously represented at the Community Board by Spen Allinson,Carol Land ,Jack Strothers and Maurice Oldroyd. I can't say which of our three leaders paraded on at full Council- I'm not that privileged to congregate in such high places- but there hasn't been a boo from any of them as the process sailed through-one abstention on one occasion from MO apart. Pro-active Leadership ,meaningful imput ,looking after what you say is in your member's interests?
Presentation, discussion,decision,progress. Thats how the world works.Barla must do the same ,or Sam's answer on another thread to Steve's question will be right. To coin a phrase-it's a whole different ball game. Very Happy

peter moran
Junior player
Junior player

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Stephenson Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:38 am

I think the two things that have rattled cages are

Priority access - indicating that if you don't sign you might miss out or be treat as a lesser case

accept the primacy of the RFL - what happens when there is a conflict between BARLA and RFL rules and just who would you have to bow to.

Last edited by Paul Stephenson on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clearing up thye mixed case mess)
Paul Stephenson
Paul Stephenson
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Armstrong Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:52 am

Coshida wrote:Any reason why you never highlighted this section?
RFL Community Club Partnership is open to all clubs within the United Kingdom and Ireland. Any club playing in a league,
whether or not that league is associated to the RFL, is able to apply individually for Community Club Partnership and they will be recognised as Associates of the RFL.
Yes, because I thought people understood what "to associate" meant but, for clarification ...
to associate (third-person singular simple present associates, present participle associating, simple past and past participle associated)

1. (intransitive) To join in or form a league, union, or association.
  2. (intransitive) To spend time socially; keep company.
    he associates with his friends on weekends.
  3. (transitive) To join as a partner, ally, or friend.
  4. (transitive) To connect or join together; combine.
  5. (transitive) To connect in the mind or imagination

Quite simple really, and do you know what's odd? I noticed the words "partner", "ally" and "friend" in there but surprisingly no reference to enemies or underlings!! It also doesn't say you can only have one, or be a member of just one, association. I get my insurance via the RAC but my motoring breakdown via the AA .... neither has sent me a letter saying I shouldn't speak to the other or that they are out to "eradicate" their opposition!!! It's a buyer's market and I shop around for the best deal for me in the same way that when I represent our clubs and players I seek the best deal for them and if that means having a foot in both camps .. so be it ... we don't (contrary to popular opinion on here) have a gun to our head's forcing us to join!! If we have nothing to lose by being invited and accepting that invitation to the party then why shouldn't we?

Coshida wrote:So are the clubs being recognised as BARLA members or RFL?
Or, and here's a new concept .... both??? Seems to be the better choice!

Coshida wrote:... this is a blatant attempt to eradicate BARLA from the scene, and to justify the £29m being asked in funding. Again Sam, for BARLA to move forward as we all want, it will take money to make it happen, so with 60% of clubs represented by BARLA will they recieve 60% of the funding?
So using your own argument ... as the RFL is our sport's governing body and that BARLA sits within that structure should the RFL not get 100% and distribute it how it sees fit?

Coshida wrote:Just think what £6.7m a year would do for progessing BARLA.
Show me where they have listed a strategic plan for the future and I'll accept that they should get funding but whether it is via another filtered layer at BARLA or direct it is the same clubs who are benefitting from a fair percentage of that £29 Million.

Coshida wrote:... It clearly states that the clubs that sign this agreement will be associates of the RFL.
Yes, yes, repeating doesn't change the fact that it is open to ANYONE and that you can be BOTH!!

Coshida wrote:... What is clear to me, although BARLA have made mistakes, it can change and adapt, and this is down to the Associate members to make that change.
So what changes can be demonstrated in the 5 years since the Gemini Report?

Coshida wrote:... What is worrying Sam, it seems that by your post, although very well put, where is your support of BARLA? Will we see your league move the RFL, I guess only time will tell, and it would be an utter shame.
If our League decides to move it will be because of their desire to improve things for their players and clubs not just because of blind loyalty. We believe in the ethos of BARLA but it needs to evolve and not simply stamp it's feet and demand that everything is done under their conditions. The Community Board, at which BARLA are represented, agreed democratically the partnerships ... why suddenly try to imply no previous knowledge or that it has been done in an underhand manner??

Coshida wrote:... I believe that we should all be singing from the same hymm sheet here, and pushing for the RFL to give BARLA 60% of THAT funding, as I am aware that was in the proposals that the RFL had put to Sport England.
I agree with half of your statement but sadly., not the second half. But that is what is good about debate, we can agree to disagree.

Coshida wrote:Pushing for complete unification of the amatuer game.
Possibly coming at it from another angle but I do share that vision!
Sam Armstrong
Sam Armstrong
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by peter moran Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:10 pm

The funding issue needs careful explanation. Firstly definite ' High fives' to RLS for getting it . The bid was for 35m and to come out at 29.5 m is enormous in the current climate.

The grant is not for RL. It is for the delivery of the five strategic aims of Sport England, the vehicle being Rugby League Football. Massive if subtle difference. Our RLS professionals are truly to be congratulated.They will be sitting down with interested parties within the next month to prioritise spending and delivery. I hope I know my trade but they certainly know theirs.
Back off. No silly claims for percentages.There are too many Sports out there with that sort of thinking who have been creamed in the current process of Grant Applications. Expect full announcements in due course .And yes ,Barla through their Community Board Rep have been kept fully in the loop. Whether it has been further disseminated is of course a matter for them....

peter moran
Junior player
Junior player

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Marauder Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:59 am

Personally I just see it as a way of cooking the numbers book when the RFL get round to needing it (how they will use the book at the moment I’m not sure, but I will bet (Never put one on yet) they will open the book once they (RFL) can say they have over 50% of all amateur (community game) clubs signed.

Marauder
Junior player
Junior player

Number of posts : 14

http://www.thornemoormarauders.ik.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Armstrong Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:45 am

Marauder ... look familiar to you?

Which Clubs/Leagues have left BARLA since the letter from RFL? Flogging-dead-horse

Try to build bridges like some of the rest of us are trying to do instead of this outdated "the sun revolves around BARLA" attitude. You never know, you might just like it!! Wink

BTW .... the world isn't flat either!!
clown
Sam Armstrong
Sam Armstrong
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by once a ref Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:59 am

The world isn't flat???????? scratch

once a ref
Youth team
Youth team

Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down